Monday, October 8, 2007

I'm grateful for this




Today, Luke and I cleaned out our garden barrels. We started out with such high hopes in May as we planted several varieties of sunflowers, pumpkins, daisies and marigolds. I was really disappointed that not one of our sunflowers bloomed until Paul discovered this tiny flower in one of the barrels. We had planted kid-sized sunflowers in this barrel and I found that I was completely grateful for this tiny humble bloom. The marigolds got close to blooming, but never quite opened and then we got our first snow of the season yesterday. It was just the tiniest of snows, but it was cold enough for the marigolds to completely shrivel. I should have brought them inside, but I knew that they were way past the blooming stage. We will definitely have to learn how to grow things at our elevation of 8600 feet. I have hope for next season though.


No comments: