Saturday, March 24, 2007

Babel and multi-tasking


My husband and I watched Babel last night. Okay, I used to be a major film buff, but over the past couple of years, I've realized that it takes a lot for me to sit and pay attention to a movie. I don't know. I didn't used to be this way. I loved the movies, but either I've got way more things I'd rather be doing or I feel like I have too much to do to sit and watch a movie or movies just aren't as compelling to me as they used to be or I've grown a little more discerning in my tastes or I hate knowing I can't get those two hours back no matter what, that I just don't watch that many movies anymore! I'm sure it's a combo of all these things. Anyway, I actually sat down and watched Babel and focused only on the movie while desperately trying to ignore the messy house and other random things vying for my attention. I've realized (hopefully not too late) that chronic multi-tasking has not made me more efficient (quite the opposite) but more certain that I have to re-learn how to concentrate on only one thing at a time. Perhaps I need film therapy? Anyway...
Despite its graphic nature, I found Babel thought-provoking. There are four loosely related stories unfolding in different parts of the world and although the film didn't always work for me, I keep thinking about the film. (So many movies are entirely forgettable.) So, this is refreshing to me. Although despite its overt themes of isolation and misunderstanding, I'm left with this message:
Never go to Morocco and leave your children with the illegal nanny. (Those of you who have seen the film will know what I mean.) Seriously, what was she (the nanny) thinking?

No comments: