Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tales of a Wayside Inn





Last weekend, by the generosity of my friend Steph's dad, we traveled to Boston. Paul took two days off to spend with the boys while I was away. I love New England and anyone who knows me knows how much I love following the literary trail in Massachusetts. (The first time I visited Boston, I insisted that my sister take me to Concord so I could see the desk where Louisa May Alcott wrote Little Women.) Anyway, this was an important trip as I was to meet one of my oldest friend's fiance' for the first time. My dear friend Krissy is getting married in October and she has chosen a beautiful locale for her New England Autumn wedding. Longfellow's Wayside Inn is beautiful and pictureseque and it's replete with beautiful maple trees everywhere. At the gift shop, I couldn't help but buy a copy of Tales of a Wayside Inn by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. I also bought this book for the boys. Of course I'm always thinking of new things for our little school. Here's a little sample from my new book of poetry:

One Autumn night, in Sudbury town,
Across the Meadows bare and brown,
The Windows of the wayside inn
Gleamed red with fire-light through the leaves
Of woodbine, hanging from the eaves
Their crimson curtains rent and thin.

I had a great time soaking in Spring in New England and how thankful I am for my little trip! By the way, that's Longfellow at the top of this post!

2 comments:

Mary G said...

Carmen -- sounds so lovely ... and what a wonderful way to recharge before the RMCHEC!

Glad to have you back, though....

KrisCova said...

This is awesome Carmie!!! Thank you for posting it! It brought a twinkle to my eye. Can't wait to have you here in October!