Thursday, February 12, 2009

Field Trip


Yesterday, we set out for a field trip to tour the Greek Orthodox Church in Denver. I have always wanted to see the inside of this church. Not long after we moved to Colorado, I got lost and somehow I kept driving by this huge gold dome. (I guess I kept turning around.) Even though I was lost I was totally captivated by this church. Well, the dome itself is beautiful, but it's nothing compared to the inside. Upon entering the church, your attention is immediately drawn above as the entire ceiling is painted with scenes from both the Old and New Testaments. There is so much to see and I was completely transfixed. The longer I stared at the artwork, the more it seemed as if it were floating above me almost in 3-D. The above photo of Christ is the absolute center of the ceiling. I wish my camera could have taken it all in one photo. It's hard to really understand the magnificence without seeing it yourself.

I couldn't take pictures of all the biblical scenes, but I did get this one of Elijah.

Here's the big dome that captured my attention so long ago. Thanks Mary for setting this up!

No comments: