Monday, April 27, 2009

Daybook-The Last Week of April


I haven't done one of these daybook entries in a long time. Actually I may have only done one. I don't know why I didn't keep up with this, but I am hoping to make this a weekly update again after a long lapse.



Outside my Window

I woke up this morning to about five or six inches of snow. From my bed, I could see out the window and I saw steady snow and an overcast sky. I wasn't too happy about it, but now it's noon and the sun is out and snow is melting quickly! If we have to have snow in April and even May, at least it melts quickly!


I am listening to

Dennis Prager on the radio, but I'm about to turn it off to put Tess down for a nap.

From the Learning Room

Our school year is winding down and I'm gearing up for summer learning. Last year, I gave Luke a traditional summer break. We listened to lots of books and he read, but other than that, his days were wide open. I've discovered that Luke has better days when they're more structured. So, I've been toying with the idea of a light summer term. I want to do new things that will distinguish summer learning from the regular school term. He told me that he would like to learn French. So, I ordered a French course from Memoria Press. We've been pleased with their Latin courses so I'm sure that I'll like the French. I think we'll continue reviewing math as well. I don't want to have to spend so much time reviewing from the previous year. He finished his math book early this year and to keep the math review fun, I ordered both this and this. I want to grow sunflowers and pumpkins and fill all of the bird feeders and draw pictures of birds and well, have lots of nature study. My little boy Sam turned 4 today and I'm thinking about beginning Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons soon. We'll take it easy and slow, but I'm thinking that he needs more mommy time and this may be just the ticket. I'm thinking about Shakespeare stories for summer read alouds and maybe a little Botany. I know that I want to find a typing program for Luke as well. Now that he's getting older and starting to use the computer more, I want him to know how to type properly...too much??


I am thankful
that the snow melted quickly.

From the kitchen
Today, not much. I'm clearing out the fridge and freezer. The boys are eating leftover spaghetti and Paul and I are eating fish sticks with salad. I did bake two cakes for Sammy's birthday over the weekend. I did make the Changing Hearts and Minds chocolate cake from Molly Wizenberg's book, A Homemade Life and an orange bundt. They were both good, but I do have to say that the chocolate cake was more like a really moist brownie. Orange and chocolate do go very well together I must say.

I am wearing
jeans, a light pink t-shirt, brown wool sweater..yes, wool at the end of April!

I am reading
The Mirror Effect by Dr. Drew Pinsky. This is a really interesting book about celebrity narcissism. I've learned that narcissism is not extreme self-love, but actually the opposite, self-loathing. It's actually very sad.


Holiness in the every day
I just pre-ordered Karen Edmisten's new book for inspiration!

I am Creating
Oh, lots of things. I'm knitting a second sock to make my first pair ever. I'm working on a couple of quilts and I'm crocheting a baby blanket. There was definitely a learning curve with the crocheting! I am also thinking about how to decorate our learning room and give it some flair.

Home Comforts
I'm relaxing and trying to enjoy my home right now instead of seeing all the things that need to be done.

One of my favorite things
We always read to Sammy at bedtime. We recently discovered that he can read Big Dog Little Dog. I get tears in my eyes as he "reads" the book, complete with inflection. Of course, he just memorized what we'd been reading to him, but he has the sweetest little voice.


plans for the rest of the week
I'm getting ready for a trip to Virginia for a friend's wedding. I've got a lot to do before Thursday morning and I'm nervous about traveling with the baby without my husband.


Be sure to visit Peggy for all the daybook entries!

No comments: