Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A boy's life

This book encourages the kind of life I want for my boys.  As a mother of now four boys,  I know this book is a keeper.  Alice Cantrell's Tin Cups & Tinder gently introduces outdoor skills to boys.  In a way, this book reminds me of The Dangerous Book for Boys in that encourages boys to go out and have great adventures!  I especially like the section on cooking.  I think it's important for children to learn to cook basic things.  My oldest son often joins me in the kitchen and as a cautionary tale, I often tell him that I left home for college only knowing how to scramble eggs and make peanut butter sandwiches.  There's both campfire cooking recipes and indoor recipes here. 

There are beautiful clear photos scattered throughout  with step-by-step illustrated instructions for some of the projects.  I like the section on assembling a mess kit and collecting essentials for a day pack.  This book truly encourages boys (and girls too) to get outside, to enjoy God's creation and to use their imaginations.  With the help of this book, soon you might just have a Sam Gribley on your hands. 

I truly appreciate books that revive some of these lost Boy Scout skills.  It's important to teach our children self-reliance and Alice's book gently teaches these skills with a creative and artistic approach.  Her book may spark a life-long interest in camping, bird-watching, carving, whittling, cooking or keeping a nature journal. It's beautiful world.  Go out and get lost in the great outdoors!

No comments: