Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yarn Along: Knitting in the new year

It's a new year and it's time for a new Yarn Along post! I haven't posted for Ginny's weekly Yarn Along in several weeks, but it hasn't been because I haven't been knitting. On the contrary, I've actually been knitting a ton. I've been working on this hat for a  few weeks, but it takes my full concentration so I've put it down a lot in favor of some mindless knitting. This hat is for my friend Trista who sweetly altered my pea coat and I offered her a hat in return.

I'm currently reading The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn. I love cook books, food memoirs and books about food in general. I find this one fascinating as she recounts teaching nine fearful novices how to cook with confidence. The important lesson is that she teaches them to rely on themselves instead of prepackaged convenience food.  I was also given Jesus Calling as a Christmas gift and it's short daily devotional reading for every day of the year. So far, I find this tranquil reading and calming-perfect for my new year's resolution of seeking calm and gentleness.

That's it for this week. Don't forget to head on over to Ginny's for more yarn tales!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Both books look very good. I need to find a good devotional to help keep me on track. Sounds like the cookbook memoir is humorous?

Your hat is beautiful. A wee bit beret-ish. I finished my first colorwork project - a hat- and enjoyed it a lot,but you're right - it takes an awful lot of concentration. Ended up knitting on a long car trip.