Monday, August 13, 2012

The Artist





The other night, I watched the Oscar winning Best film of 2011, The Artist. I hadn't even heard of this movie before the  Academy Awards this year. I don't have very much patience for movies these days. I usually listen to movies while I knit. I look up now and then, but usually, I'm content to listen and knit. Well, I couldn't knit with this movie. The Artist is a silent film. There is no dialogue to listen to while knitting. The thing is I got completely absorbed in the film after adjusting to the lack of dialogue and the lack of color. It's a film that requires patience and attention. It's about an a silent actor in the early 1920s who has to adjust as silent films give way to the new "talkies". It's as relevant today as it was then. Change is really the only constant we can rely on. I really enjoyed The Artist and it's rare when I recommend a new movie. Give it a shot. Be patient. I don't think you will be disappointed.


1 comment:

Kelly said...

Oh, Carmie. I had to chuckle when I read this because I did the very same thing. Two weeks ago when I sat down to watch it I had my knitting with me and was all ready to go. Then I realized I wouldn't be able to listen and look up every now and then since it was silent. It was a treat to watch and I really enjoyed it. I've always loved classic black and white movies and enjoy watching an occasional Charlie Chaplin movie, so it was neat seeing a modern take on the old shows.