Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Twitterature (April 2014 Edition)


I'm linking up with Modern Mrs Darcy today for monthly Twitterature. Twitterature is just a fun way to share short, casual reviews of what you're reading and lately, my blog has been all about what I've been reading.

Here's what I've been reading:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- This one's a re-read. It's unusual that I re-read anything, but I saw this book on the Lucky Day shelf at the library and I was compelled to pick it up again. I want to go see the movie which comes out in June. So, I thought I'd revisit the tragic love story of Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace. They both have cancer, but Hazel's diagnosis is terminal. The first time I read this book, I deliberately kept myself remote to shield myself from the sadness that is cancer. This time around, I want to let myself feel more of this story.

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger- I recently re-watched the funny 2006 movie starring Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep and I thought I'd pick up the book. I'm only 85 pages in and this book is much different and wildly more detailed than the movie. Usually, I savor these bookish details left out of the movie, but strangely, I can already tell that I prefer the movie.

All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenting by Jennifer Senior- This book largely deals with the recent research that concludes that non-parents are much happier than parents and why. Parenting has gotten so much more challenging and the bar is high for modern parents. I'd like to know why. I always love a good social science book and where I am in life, raising five kids, this is going to be sentient information. 

Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo- Usually I love Kate DiCamillo. I love her rich diversity of story telling. I know that this book just won the Newberry Medal, but I'm just not connecting with the story of Flora and her superhero squirrel, Ulysses. This book will appeal to those who love graphic novels and comic books. What am I missing here?

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta- This novel has been on the back burner, but I'm still reading it. Francesca is stuck at St. Sebastian's school that's barely co-ed. Her mother, suffering from depression, can't get out of bed. So far, Francesca is a fish out of water trying to make the best out of a less than ideal school experience. I can't really predict where this one is going, but I read that Marchetta really knows how to to write a YA novel. I thought I also should diversify my YA reading.

That's it for me. Go check out what Modern Mrs Darcy is reading.

No comments: