Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Jet Lag, Super squirrels and reading aloud

So I Sprung Forward and I feel like I have jet lag. It's only one hour! How can this affect me so badly every year? Anyway, Luke and I finished listening to The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall yesterday. It's just the kind of book I would have loved when I was a girl. So, overall, it was a total girl's book, but Luke seemed to enjoy it despite there being four girls as main characters. I figured that the one boy character, Jeffrey would balance it all out. I don't know. Today, we started listening to The Mistmantle Chronicles: Urchin of the Riding Stars. Now, I think this is more his style: squirrels with swords! Right now, he's enjoying listening to books more than reading them. Should I be concerned about that? Or, is it just a phase? I do realize that most of the books in his library are just a little above his reading ability, but not above his listening level. I don't want to make a big deal of it, but I am a little concerned. He's surrounded by books, but I hope not buried by them. Listening skills are important and I remember how much I loved it when my teachers read to the class. My mom didn't read to me much when I was kid, but once she read Pinnochio to me and my younger sister and I still remember it to this day. I don't know why she didn't continue reading to us. My mother also installed a reading light for me so that I could read in the upper bunk without disturbing my sister. I hope that Luke will have fond memories of me reading to him. I guess I just want him to love reading and books as much as I did as a child.

Books are so much a part of our life. I won't worry.

No comments: