Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Remembering Tasha Tudor


Things have been so hectic this summer that I haven't planned
any activities in honor of Tasha Tudor, but I thought it important to remember her. Like Beatrix Potter and Cicely Mary Barker, I was enchanted with her illustrations as a child and now. A few years ago when I was looking for A Child's Garden of Verses for Luke to use for copy work, I deliberately sought out the version illustrated by Tasha Tudor. I'm also certain that I wouldn't have found The Secret Garden nearly as fascinating without Tudor's illustrations accompanying the text.

The recent issue of Victoria magazine has a tribute to Tasha Tudor. Stacey Norwood writes, "She was lauded as a renaissance woman whose personal revolution turned the clock backward instead of forward, and remained until her death dedicated to a vision that was uniquely her own."

I picked this book up at a used bookstore a few years ago and I plan to peruse it a little today and maybe make myself a cup of tea as I enjoy her magical world.

1 comment:

Mary Machado said...

You'll have to tell me what you think of the book. I read it a few weeks ago. I've read several biographies of children's authors this summer and they left me a bit disillusioned. Love to talk about it some time with you.