Monday, April 13, 2009

It's so Monet!






Remember the movie Clueless? Clueless was one of those movies that made phrases like "as if" popular. After I sewed my latest quilt topper, I thought of this exchange in Clueless.

Tai: Do you think she's pretty?

Cher: No, she's a full-on Monet.

Tai: What's a Monet?

Cher: It's like a painting, see? From far away, it's OK, but up close, it's a big old mess. Let's ask a guy. Christian, what do you think of Amber?

Christian: Hagsville.

Cher: See?

Well, that's how I feel about my quilt. From far away, it looks pretty good, but up close it's a total mess. Things started out well, but then I put it away for a while and when I started up again, I had to cut more squares. I think I tried to cut the squares more efficiently and then things went bad. Nothing was lining up anymore when I sewed the columns together. After a while, I just decided to let it be. There was no fixing it since the squares weren't the right size. I just kept sewing despite the mess. It's too bad. I really like these bright Kaffe Fassett fabrics and I know I ruined this quilt, but nevertheless I'm going to continue on and think of Clueless every time I look at it. Who doesn't like Impressionist art?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

It looks gorgeous to me! I love your description, LOL.

Therese said...

It looks gorgeous to me too.

Conservamom said...

It looks gorgeous! It's a gift to even be able to do it! I love your description of it,LOL