Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Soup Recipe #1 - Cheesy Potato Soup




Heres' a recipe from The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen:
I checked this book out from the library and I decided to try the Cheesy Potato Soup. I've made this soup a few times and it's hearty and delicious. I never used to like creamy or cheesy soups, but I love them now.
ingredients:
4 TB butter (1/2 stick)
1 C diced carrots (sometimes I use 2 cups.)
4 C chicken broth ( I use Pacific brand Organic free-range chicken
broth.)
5 C russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)- about 4 medium size
potatoes
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp- salt (you could probably leave this out since broth has
salt.)
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 C milk
8 oz sharp cheddar grated (2 Cups)
1. Melt 1 TB of butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and add carrots and saute' until softened--probably about 4 minutes.
2. Add the broth, potatoes, basil, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat and simmer until potatoes are tender-- about 2o minutes.
4. While soup is simmering, make the cheese sauce. Melt remaining 3 TB of butter in a medium-size sauce pan over medium-hight heat.
5. Whisk in the flour.
6. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened. (I think the recipe suggest 2 minutes, but I've found that it takes way longer for it to thicken.)
7. Add the cheese and stir until cheese is both melted and thoroughly combined.
8. Gradually, pour the sauce into the soup and stir until blended.
tip: I made this soup last night and I decided to blend some a little chunky for Tess. Her soup looked so good that I blended mind and oh, Yum!!!
This soup is really good and just so easy to make. I tend to make it when I have potatoes that I need to use up and I always have carrots. Oh, I also add a couple garlic cloves when I saute the carrots in butter for a little extra flavor.
Enjoy!!!

No comments: